One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A psychiatric hospital.
psychiatric hospital, mental hospital, mental institution, mental asylum, institutionView synonyms
- ‘Partly this is because most audiences will be duped into thinking it's Vermont, where the story takes place, but also because the majority of the film takes place inside a lunatic asylum.’
- ‘Until the 1970s some governments consigned those people who came under their control to ‘quiet and chronic’ wards in lunatic asylums or hospitals for the insane, and forgot them.’
- ‘There are regular tours of the Castle, but the eighteenth century interiors have all been hideously restored with over-bright gilt and thick pile carpeting so that it all feels rather like an upmarket lunatic asylum.’
- ‘Well-to-do Victorians used to pay to tour lunatic asylums, deriving great amusement from the inmates.’
- ‘It opened as the County Lunatic Asylum in 1774, one of the first purpose-built lunatic asylums in the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.