Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The lunate microsporophylls and densely packed sporangia are consistent with the morphology of other noeggerathialean cones, such as Discinites Feistmanlel.’
- ‘It is supported by a narrow lunate platform along the dorsal margin.’
- ‘Tellingly, a structure called the lunate sulcus was pushed toward the back of her brain, as it is in H. sapiens's, leaving more space for areas involved in advanced association, forward planning, and problem solving.’
- ‘The aft section is a freely flooded articulated robot tail which is terminated with a lunate caudal fin.’
- ‘It has derived frontal and temporal lobes and a lunate sulcus in a derived position, which are consistent with capabilities for higher cognitive processing.’
A crescent-shaped prehistoric stone implement.
- ‘Neolithic tools like points, trapezes and lunates made of chert and chalcedony, besides stone querns and grinders, decorated bone objects, pieces of ochre and human burials were also found here.’
- ‘It is only in the rock-shelter area, B, that we have classic lunates, here residuals in neolithic levels.’
- ‘The lunates, barely a centimeter in length, were hafted onto shafts as transverse arrowheads, as documented by contemporary Egyptian finds.’
- ‘Blank production is the same as in the earlier assemblages technically, but among the microlith tools there are also trapezes and lunates in in addition to the triangles.’
- ‘The association of lunates and stone polishers in two of the burials found at the site is also significant.’
A crescent-shaped carpal bone situated in the centre of the wrist and articulating with the radius.
- ‘In prolonged cases, osteophytes may occur at the dorsal rim of the distal radius or dorsal aspects of the scaphoid or lunate.’
- ‘The lateral view should be taken with the wrist in a neutral position in order to evaluate the alignment of the lunate with the rest of the wrist.’
- ‘Disruption of the ligaments attached to the lunate leads to these different types of dislocation.’
- ‘When the ulna is shorter than the radius, the lunate bone absorbs more force when the wrist is used for heavy gripping activities.’
- ‘The proximal row of carpal bones includes the scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, and pisiform, which are closely approximated to the distal radius.’
Late 18th century: from Latin lunatus, from luna moon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.