One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The angular distance of the moon from the sun, a planet, or a star, used in finding longitude at sea.
- ‘For some years he had maintained a strong interest in, and advocacy of, the method of lunar distances for determining longitude.’
- ‘He proposed the method of lunar distances to determine longitude which was an important proposal.’
- ‘Mayer's method of determining longitude by lunar distances and a formula for correcting errors in longitude due to atmospheric refraction were published in 1770 after his death.’
- ‘During his editorship, Lalande added accurate tables of lunar distances from stars which were valuable in navigation.’
- ‘Not by accident, he used Harrison's chronometer and lunar distances to calculate longitudes accurately.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.