One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The angular distance of the moon from the sun, a planet, or a star, used in finding longitude at sea.
- ‘He proposed the method of lunar distances to determine longitude which was an important proposal.’
- ‘For some years he had maintained a strong interest in, and advocacy of, the method of lunar distances for determining longitude.’
- ‘Mayer's method of determining longitude by lunar distances and a formula for correcting errors in longitude due to atmospheric refraction were published in 1770 after his death.’
- ‘Not by accident, he used Harrison's chronometer and lunar distances to calculate longitudes accurately.’
- ‘During his editorship, Lalande added accurate tables of lunar distances from stars which were valuable in navigation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.