One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The interval of time between two successive crossings of the meridian by the moon (roughly 24 hours and 50 minutes).
- ‘The moon's orbit, and hence the tidal bulges, are tilted relative to the earths equator, resulting in the 2 high waters per lunar day not being equal to each other.’
- ‘Based on lunar day of 24 hrs 50 minutes, will provide accurate indication of tide cycle.’
- ‘The length of the lunar day is thus identical to the length of its revolution around Earth.’
- ‘Thus their ‘day’ would not be based on the movement of the Sun, a 24-hour cycle, but rather a lunar day, lasting 24 hours and 50 minutes.’
- ‘The lunar day is 50 minutes longer than a solar day because the moon revolves around the Earth in the same direction that the Earth rotates around its axis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.