One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Producing or transmitting light.‘luminiferous ether’
shining, bright, brilliant, radiant, dazzling, glowing, gleaming, coruscating, scintillating, lustrous, luminescent, phosphorescent, incandescentView synonyms
- ‘Also, it feels more natural to pull in facts from ‘normal’ science when I've already made the leap by talking about the luminiferous ether.’
- ‘And I have been able to do so because I have become increasingly convinced that culture, like the luminiferous ether of nineteenth-century physics, doesn't do much work.’
- ‘These equations described visible light as a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, and said that the luminiferous ether was not necessary for electromagnetic waves to propagate through space.’
- ‘Thus, with a swiftness approaching the speed of light itself, the luminiferous ether entered the graveyard of discredited scientific ideas.’
- ‘So may one therefore conclude that the luminiferous ether doesn't exist?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.