Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- trademark for phenobarbitone
- ‘Intravenous sodium amytal (Amytal, Luminal, Nembutal) elicited no benefit, but intravenous zolpidem did.’
- ‘Since Luminal is a sedative that was often administered in small doses to unruly children at the time - there was no other way to treat epilepsy, for instance - nurses often had no way of knowing who was administering the fatal dose.’
- ‘The most popular lethal drug was Luminal, a barbiturate, closely followed by morphine for children resistant to the Luminal.’
- ‘The children received cocoa powder, which had been treated with Luminal, a sleeping potion that attacks the bronchial system over time and can lead to infections of the lungs.’
- ‘By 1912, a phenylethyl derivative was developed and commercially introduced as Phenobarbital and Luminal.’
Early 20th century: probably from Latin lumen light (rendering phen-, from Greek phaino- shining), + -al.
- ‘Unfortunately, the absence of endothelial cells at the luminal surface of prosthetic vascular grafts potentiates thrombosis and neointimal hyperplasia.’
- ‘Autopsy findings confirmed luminal narrowing of bronchioles by scarring, which is a histopathologic features of bronchiolitis obliterans.’
- ‘The upper airway size is determined by the balance between static pharyngeal mechanics, neuromuscular activity, and luminal pressure.’
- ‘In fact, the capillary luminal diameter has been increased in the skin and nerves of patients with diabetes, even in the presence of neuropathy.’
- ‘Unlike an infection, endometriosis does not damage the luminal epithelium of the Fallopian tube and thus surgery is more likely to be successful.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.