Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place that sells timber and other building materials.
- ‘Today, if you need a strip of molding for a cornice, you select from the supply of machine-made examples at the lumberyard.’
- ‘The Rebuilding Center rivals conventional lumberyards in the variety of materials it offers to builders.’
- ‘Take the sketch to your local home center or lumberyard, and ask the salesperson to estimate and price the materials you'll need.’
- ‘We purchased the wood and building supplies from a local lumberyard.’
- ‘In fact, lumber is typically exposed to rainfall during the time that it is in stock in the lumberyard.’
- ‘I went over to the lumberyard to buy some steel siding, insulation, and a good steel cutter.’
- ‘Some lumberyards and door companies can help you with ordering basement doors.’
- ‘Be careful of fiberglass sold in lumberyards and trust only the written warranty.’
- ‘You'll need to rip a few boards into smaller sizes; you can use a table saw or ask the lumberyard to do it.’
- ‘The railroad used to come here and rolled right on into the only thing of any stature in the village (aside from the church): the lumberyard.’
- ‘Brad tells a similar story about the contract sales manager at the lumberyard he got most of his wood from.’
- ‘He has a job at a lumberyard, a sympathetic boss, and a well-intentioned brother-in-law.’
- ‘Here are a few of the more common materials, available at most home centers and lumberyards.’
- ‘The colonial American timberyard resembled, in many ways, the modern lumberyard.’
- ‘To hide the rough seams, I purchased raw wood moulding from the lumberyard and finished it to match the aged look of the Arquati frame.’
- ‘Then we sold it to several different local lumberyards.’
- ‘Special decorative ceiling tiles which are added to the ceilings as insulation can be found in lumberyards and energy stores.’
- ‘If you haven't had your shelving sides cut at the lumberyard, the next step is to use the saber saw to cut the side pieces for the shelving unit as well as the shelves for over the closet rods.’
- ‘He moves into a small apartment, lands a job at a lumberyard and does his best to control his most reprehensible impulses.’
- ‘If you choose to use new stock from the lumberyard, both hardwoods and softwood are good choices.’
- ‘You'll find hardwood flooring at a local millwork shop, lumberyard or floor-covering store.’
- ‘Two standard roofing coatings are available at your local hardware store or lumberyard.’
- ‘Getting a job working in a lumberyard, he then starts a sweet romance with a woman he meets, named Vickie.’
- ‘Your local lumberyard can mill these for a nominal fee or might even donate to your school.’
- ‘At the time, I was working in a lumberyard and spending three or four hours splitting wood every day.’
- ‘If he can't help, try to find the lumberyard or siding distributor who supplied your builder.’
- ‘‘It is sold in all lumberyards all over the nation and is used by all builders for all types of projects,’ he added.’
- ‘All of these fillers - and more - can be found at home centers, hardware stores, lumberyards and other building material retailers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.