Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fun, laughter, or amusement, especially that derived at another's expense:‘the splinter group embarked on a spree of daring cyberattacks for the lulz’‘it's clear that he posted this thread just to troll you and get a lot of luls’‘Did you send the guy to the ER? Lulz’
- ‘For all I knew, the service could be run by unscrupulous spammers or a troll looking for lulz.’
- ‘This brought on the lulz because if you were from around here you'd know people that have said that quite a lot.’
- ‘I hope the cops find you and arrest you, just for the lulz.’
- ‘But in the midst of all this human suffering, there were lulz to be had.’
- ‘Then we're going grocery shopping. Luls, excitement.’
- ‘Yes, some hacks under LulzSec were done for the lulz, but there are lessons learned from them all.’
- ‘We're half-way through the week and though I can't speak for everyone, to me it feels like a good time for some lulz to push the doldrums away.’
- ‘Tim saw a famous retired hockey player (for the Rangers, I think), and the guy even had a duffel bag and hockey stick with him, luls.’
- ‘My boss is in a huge fight with the manager here at the bowling alley - lulz are in the air.’
- ‘Then you exploit their insecurities to get an insane amount of drama, laughs and lulz.’
- ‘I'm going to block you I you ever say anything like that again, lulz.’
- ‘We also got lost in a forest for the lulz.’
- ‘I have Latin AGAIN tomorrow, but I might see if I can leave early, just for the lulz.’
- ‘If people winked in real life as much as they do in texts this world would be a pretty creepy place. Lulz.’
- ‘Feel free to visit the website - it takes a while to load, but its well worth it for the lulz.’
- ‘Tim now has a great job at a company with Navy contracts (and other people, as he's telling me right now, luls) and excellent benefits.’
- ‘I don't hack for lulz but for moral reasons.’
- ‘Everything he did, he did it for the lulz.’
- ‘Yet although many of LulzSec's attacks were perpetrated "for the lulz", the group was accused of attempted extortion by one US security company.’
- ‘My guess is Mike just sits and laughs when he sees you posting taking the time to reply every once in a while just for the lulz.’
Early 21st century: alteration of lolz.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.