Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fun, laughter, or amusement, especially that derived at another's expense.‘the splinter group embarked on a spree of daring cyberattacks for the lulz’‘it's clear that he posted this thread just to troll you and get a lot of luls’‘Did you send the guy to the ER? Lulz’
- ‘We're half-way through the week and though I can't speak for everyone, to me it feels like a good time for some lulz to push the doldrums away.’
- ‘This brought on the lulz because if you were from around here you'd know people that have said that quite a lot.’
- ‘But in the midst of all this human suffering, there were lulz to be had.’
- ‘My guess is Mike just sits and laughs when he sees you posting taking the time to reply every once in a while just for the lulz.’
- ‘Then you exploit their insecurities to get an insane amount of drama, laughs and lulz.’
- ‘I don't hack for lulz but for moral reasons.’
- ‘I'm going to block you I you ever say anything like that again, lulz.’
- ‘For all I knew, the service could be run by unscrupulous spammers or a troll looking for lulz.’
- ‘Feel free to visit the website - it takes a while to load, but its well worth it for the lulz.’
- ‘Tim now has a great job at a company with Navy contracts (and other people, as he's telling me right now, luls) and excellent benefits.’
- ‘I have Latin AGAIN tomorrow, but I might see if I can leave early, just for the lulz.’
- ‘Then we're going grocery shopping. Luls, excitement.’
- ‘We also got lost in a forest for the lulz.’
- ‘My boss is in a huge fight with the manager here at the bowling alley - lulz are in the air.’
- ‘Yes, some hacks under LulzSec were done for the lulz, but there are lessons learned from them all.’
- ‘Tim saw a famous retired hockey player (for the Rangers, I think), and the guy even had a duffel bag and hockey stick with him, luls.’
- ‘I hope the cops find you and arrest you, just for the lulz.’
- ‘Yet although many of LulzSec's attacks were perpetrated "for the lulz", the group was accused of attempted extortion by one US security company.’
- ‘Everything he did, he did it for the lulz.’
- ‘If people winked in real life as much as they do in texts this world would be a pretty creepy place. Lulz.’
Early 21st century: alteration of lolz.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.