One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nountrademark in US
A type of German automatic pistol.
- ‘In 1908, the German Army adopted the Luger as a pistol.’
- ‘For decades the Swiss Army's issue pistol had been the Luger, and they, too, began to investigate a new pistol.’
- ‘He frowned and turned toward it, automatically reaching for the Luger he carried with him at all times.’
- ‘While the Luger is a finely-made gun, it really is not a finicky one.’
- ‘As a result, costly guns such as the Luger would have a limited life.’
Early 20th century: named after Georg Luger (1849–1923), Austrian firearms expert.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.