One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of games and gaming, especially video games.‘ludology, like the games it studies, is not about story and discourse at all but about actions and events’
- ‘The timeline begins in 4000 B.C. and goes up to 1999 - and includes a zillion swooping arrows showing how ludology developed.’
- ‘As story and game-play fold together, ludology can be seen as providing a set of comprehensible rules for dramatic interplay based on user choices.’
- ‘In video game circles, the big debate these days is about whether video games are driven by narrative or by play-style - narrativology vs. ludology.’
- ‘She currently resides in Chicago as a junior in college, studying ludology.’
- ‘I see ludology as a tool, not an ideal.’
- ‘I like how ludology can be applied to other areas of human behavior to make them more entertaining.’
- ‘Ludology isn't helpful because it overemphasises just one aspect of videogames.’
- ‘The field of ludology has become more of a focus for media theorists recently.’
- ‘For all of you interested in ludology, try to get hold of "Power Up - How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life".’
- ‘In his dissertation he focuses on the effects of videogame play, attempting to incorporate the insights provided by ludology within the frameworks used by sociological and psychological researchers.’
1960s: from Latin ludere ‘to play’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.