One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A toast proposed and drunk to the sovereign of one's country.
- ‘Sir Gordon Linacre, President of Yorkshire Post Newspapers, proposed the loyal toast.’
- ‘Grace was said by Canon Christopher Brown and the loyal toast proposed by Robert Foubister, president of the Trowbridge Lions Club.’
- ‘An excellent repast, provided by host Wemyss, was served, and at its conclusion, the loyal toast, proposed from the chair, was honoured.’
- ‘From there it was on to the Black Horse where the cup was filled again, songs and dancing followed and the evening ended with the loyal toast.’
- ‘He consulted John Henry Newman about how, as the new squire and a Catholic, he should propose the obligatory loyal toast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.