One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A toast proposed and drunk to the sovereign of one's country.
- ‘He consulted John Henry Newman about how, as the new squire and a Catholic, he should propose the obligatory loyal toast.’
- ‘Sir Gordon Linacre, President of Yorkshire Post Newspapers, proposed the loyal toast.’
- ‘From there it was on to the Black Horse where the cup was filled again, songs and dancing followed and the evening ended with the loyal toast.’
- ‘Grace was said by Canon Christopher Brown and the loyal toast proposed by Robert Foubister, president of the Trowbridge Lions Club.’
- ‘An excellent repast, provided by host Wemyss, was served, and at its conclusion, the loyal toast, proposed from the chair, was honoured.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.