One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Our chemistry lecture made us ice-cream using LOx.’
- ‘LOX also had extensive use in making oxyliquit explosives, but is rarely used now due to a high rate of accidents.’
Early 20th century: acronym from liquid oxygen explosive, later interpreted as being from liquid oxygen.
nounmass nounNorth American
- ‘It was like Thanksgiving, except it was lox instead of turkey.’
- ‘All the anecdotes were new to us, the creaking chair-bound jokes fresh as this morning's lox.’
- ‘This Sunday, I plan on consuming more bagels, cream cheese with lox, and coffee.’
- ‘Later, enjoy half a glass of calcium-fortified OJ with a whole-wheat bagel topped with fat-free cream cheese, lox, sprouts and a thick tomato slice.’
- ‘Or you can start with all the fixings for bagels and lox: plentiful smoked salmon, lemon wedges, capers, thinly sliced onion and a bowl of cloud-like cream cheese.’
- ‘No. And then I started to have fruit and then there was this one fantasy I've been having the whole time which was a lox and cream cheese bagel.’
- ‘The two funniest parts of the day were watching Wendell snatch and devour miniature bagels with lox.’
- ‘My religious and ethnic identification consisted of fund-raising for Jewish causes, Israeli dancing and Sunday brunch: bagels and lox.’
- ‘He'd eat the lox and cream cheese, gnaw on the bagel innards, and leave the bagel shells on the floor.’
- ‘One of the best things a houseguest ever did for me was go out after a huge party I had and bring back a bag of bagels and lox and cream cheese and capers to mitigate the hangover.’
- ‘Cody took a deep breath of lox, pastrami, and salami.’
- ‘She asked the waiter to bring her a bagel, lox and cream cheese because she thought that's what Hollywood people ate - and a coffee to show Robby how grown up she was.’
- ‘Top with jam, peanut butter, almond butter, low fat cottage cheese, light cream cheese or lox.’
- ‘You could throw in some lox, but that'd probably put you over ten dollars.’
- ‘Brunch can mean just about anything to your date, though, from an English muffin with butter to Nova Scotia lox on a bagel with a side of caviar and a pitcher of mimosas.’
- ‘I had just knocked off three bagels and lox with cream cheese, and washed em down with four cups of very strong coffee.’
- ‘When I was a kid, it was possible to get real lox on a real bagel in a real deli, even in New Hampshire.’
- ‘For example, I had the Benedict Florentine: Poached eggs, spinach, in champagne-shallot-orange hollandaise sauce over lox and a crust of brioche.’
- ‘Bagels with cream cheese and lox in Los Angeles take me back to early Sunday mornings in a small bakery in Toronto and learning to be Jewish.’
- ‘The first model to tell us ‘this whole no-carb thing is ridiculous’ downs three meals and three snacks a day, including lox on a bagel and eggs in the morning and steak or chicken at night.’
1940s: from Yiddish laks.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.