Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A region of veld situated at a low altitude, especially the low-lying region of north-eastern South Africa and Swaziland.as modifier ‘a lowveld cattle disease’
- ‘One of the best known and most esteemed fish species of the lowveld and bushveld, the Mozambique tilapia, also called the blue kurper or bream in Zimbabwe is now threatened in South Africa.’
- ‘It was expected that refugees would cross into the lowveld and adjacent areas in large numbers from flood-stricken Mozambique, where there was cholera at present.’
- ‘Vast areas of Mpumalanga lowveld were turned into banana plantations and thus did we export the Lowveld's once exciting scenery.’
- ‘Nearer the coast there is a low-lying plain called the eastern lowveld.’
- ‘But the lowveld habitat is so dense that you are seldom aware of your neighbours.’
Partly translating Afrikaans laeveld, from lae ‘low’ + veld (see veld).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.