Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Low-lying country.‘economic power gravitated towards the lowlands’[as modifier] ‘lowland farming’
- ‘They often move into wooded lowlands in winter, but there is no consistent migration.’
- ‘But up in the mountains there are not these extensive areas of lowland tundra where all the birds and the musk oxen can live.’
- ‘In the summer, they breed on marshy, lowland tundra at the northern limits of the boreal forest.’
- ‘The study area is a fragmented landscape of lowland tropical rainforest surrounded by roads, cultivated fields and pasturelands.’
- ‘It features everything from snow-capped mountains and river canyons to the lowlands of the Amazon basin.’
- ‘Roughly made thonged sandals were worn only in lowland areas where the terrain was rocky.’
- ‘Both uplands and lowlands possess a variety of soils.’
- ‘The topography of Kerala could be divided into highland, midland and lowland areas.’
- ‘It primarily grazes and rests on highland or lowland desert, semidesert or steppe.’
- ‘The north-east of England is a land where uplands and lowlands meet, and are never far apart.’
- ‘Both tree species are common in primary and secondary forests, from uplands to lowlands.’
- ‘It is believed that the hardest-hit areas will be on the mainland, especially the lowlands.’
- ‘Rising sea levels for Tuvalu have created serious lowland flooding.’
- ‘The refuges were mainly areas of lowland rainforest that survived when savanna became more widely distributed in colder and drier episodes.’
- ‘Compared with the surrounding terrain, Niamakoroni's lowlands are relatively lush.’
- ‘To the west lie the Bordeaux lowlands and the Gironde Estuary, to the south the plains of Languedoc, and to the east the Rhône valley.’
- ‘The Buddha was born in the Terai lowlands near the foothills of the Himalayas just inside the borders of modern-day Nepal.’
- ‘Greystones Farm is a site of special scientific interest, with lowland wet meadow in which orchids flourish.’
- ‘Alpine regions, lowland forests and wetlands all have characteristic species.’
- ‘Both in the uplands and the lowlands insects continued to represent an astonishing diversity of forms.’
- 1.1The region of Scotland lying south and east of the Highlands.[as modifier] ‘a strong Lowland accent’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.