One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Diminish the general spirit or moral character of a conversation, place, etc.‘trust you to lower the tone of the conversation’
- ‘It looks really untidy and lowers the tone of the whole area.’
- ‘Graffiti is a nuisance, it lowers the tone of the neighbourhood and everybody's quality of life suffers.’
- ‘In Surrey's stockbroker belt, they were regarded by some as lowering the tone.’
- ‘Curling might be the world's nicest sport, where courtesy and even chumminess between competitors is a founding principle, but the partisan crowd did their best to lower the tone yesterday.’
- ‘But organizers of the ball say the agreement lowers the tone of the society gathering and have tried to ban the wealthy entrepreneur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.