One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Diminish the general spirit or moral character of a conversation, place, etc.‘trust you to lower the tone of the conversation’
- ‘In Surrey's stockbroker belt, they were regarded by some as lowering the tone.’
- ‘Graffiti is a nuisance, it lowers the tone of the neighbourhood and everybody's quality of life suffers.’
- ‘Curling might be the world's nicest sport, where courtesy and even chumminess between competitors is a founding principle, but the partisan crowd did their best to lower the tone yesterday.’
- ‘But organizers of the ball say the agreement lowers the tone of the society gathering and have tried to ban the wealthy entrepreneur.’
- ‘It looks really untidy and lowers the tone of the whole area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.