One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition of the atmosphere in which the pressure is below average (e.g. in a depression)‘areas of low pressure almost always bring rain’as modifier ‘low-pressure systems across the Alps’
- ‘At the same time the cold air moving southwards behind the low-pressure centre is losing height.’
- ‘If we get low pressure, a west wind and a spring tide the flooding will occur again.’
- ‘Light-ice years are associated with more low-pressure activity in the East Siberian Sea.’
- ‘During the summer season, a center of low pressure develops over the western part of India because of the intense heating of the landmass, while high pressure develops over the relatively cool Indian Ocean.’
- ‘The first thing is, remember, a hurricane is just an area of extremely low pressure, and there's a lot of circulation around that center of low pressure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.