Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a filter) transmitting all frequencies below a certain value.
- ‘Essentially mechanical low-pass filter systems, pneumatic isolators exhibit very low natural frequencies.’
- ‘All spectra were smoothed 10 times using a fixed bandwidth, sharp cutoff, three-point, low-pass linear digital filter.’
- ‘By means of a combiner filter the output hybrid signal is created (the combiner filter is a low-pass filter for the analog signal and a band-pass filter for the digital signal).’
- ‘In other words, the frequency components higher than the cutoff frequency will be stopped by a low-pass filter.’
- ‘It is formulated on a scaling function or low-pass filter and a wavelet function or high-pass filter.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.