One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gentle, melodic style of reggae incorporating elements of soul and usually featuring lyrics with a romantic theme.
- ‘Too much of this lovers rock is karaoke to a mellow reggae beat.’
- ‘I'm super-interested in sexual matters and the myth of monogamy, and this album is a form of lovers rock.’
- ‘I requested that programmes playing more roots-reggae, dub, lovers rock and soul should be encouraged.’
- ‘This disc finds the grandpappy of "lovers rock" in fine form.’
- ‘Our three ambassadors of lovers rock came out personally to greet the audience before starting their performance and the audience loved this.’
- ‘There's also rocksteady, ska, calypso, lovers rock, gospel, traditional rhythm & blues, and a bunch of other stuff thrown into the mix.’
- ‘Lovers rock is the Law; Lovers rock, under Dancehall.’
- ‘Gregory Isaacs is practically synonymous with lovers rock, and this sensuous song provides all the explanation necessary.’
- ‘This ex-Spinane knows how to bring the lovers rock.’
- ‘In 1999, Singing Melody came out with Sweeter, a CD that some say is lovers rock at its best.’
- ‘Though the roots reggae sound was superseded by lovers rock and the faster ragga and dancehall styles, toasting was highly influential on both the rap and hip-hop scenes.’
- ‘Jamaican singer Tarrus Riley luxuriates in the sweet and smoky soul he learned from his father Jimmy, and at its best, Contagious is immensely satisfying neo lovers rock.’
- ‘His/her record collection spans a delightful mix of bad UK garage, rotten cheesy lovers rock and the most horrendous gabba-style house music I've ever heard.’
- ‘These artists tempted us with selections from all the genres: lovers rock, roots and dancehall.’
- ‘A singer from Franklin Town, Jamaica, Wonder has a generous, sweet croon that resembles the "lovers rock" of seventies vocalists like Horace Andy.’
- ‘Real sweet lovers rock indeed.’
- ‘There is no programme of positive black awareness, and there are no music programmes reflecting the large influence roots, lovers rock, jazz and dub had on Britain.’
- ‘The first release in the Master T series is a compilation of contemporary reggae and dancehall, with a measure of lovers rock thrown in for quiet times.’
- ‘Derrick Herriot's "Do I Worry" is an uneasy, yet languid, step into lovers rock.’
- ‘Sign up for the live stream, or select your favourites from the archive of lovers rock, classic reggae, dancehall, and ska.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.