One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gentle, melodic style of reggae incorporating elements of soul and usually featuring lyrics with a romantic theme.
- ‘This disc finds the grandpappy of "lovers rock" in fine form.’
- ‘There is no programme of positive black awareness, and there are no music programmes reflecting the large influence roots, lovers rock, jazz and dub had on Britain.’
- ‘Sign up for the live stream, or select your favourites from the archive of lovers rock, classic reggae, dancehall, and ska.’
- ‘There's also rocksteady, ska, calypso, lovers rock, gospel, traditional rhythm & blues, and a bunch of other stuff thrown into the mix.’
- ‘Real sweet lovers rock indeed.’
- ‘His/her record collection spans a delightful mix of bad UK garage, rotten cheesy lovers rock and the most horrendous gabba-style house music I've ever heard.’
- ‘Lovers rock is the Law; Lovers rock, under Dancehall.’
- ‘I'm super-interested in sexual matters and the myth of monogamy, and this album is a form of lovers rock.’
- ‘Though the roots reggae sound was superseded by lovers rock and the faster ragga and dancehall styles, toasting was highly influential on both the rap and hip-hop scenes.’
- ‘These artists tempted us with selections from all the genres: lovers rock, roots and dancehall.’
- ‘Too much of this lovers rock is karaoke to a mellow reggae beat.’
- ‘In 1999, Singing Melody came out with Sweeter, a CD that some say is lovers rock at its best.’
- ‘Jamaican singer Tarrus Riley luxuriates in the sweet and smoky soul he learned from his father Jimmy, and at its best, Contagious is immensely satisfying neo lovers rock.’
- ‘The first release in the Master T series is a compilation of contemporary reggae and dancehall, with a measure of lovers rock thrown in for quiet times.’
- ‘Derrick Herriot's "Do I Worry" is an uneasy, yet languid, step into lovers rock.’
- ‘A singer from Franklin Town, Jamaica, Wonder has a generous, sweet croon that resembles the "lovers rock" of seventies vocalists like Horace Andy.’
- ‘Gregory Isaacs is practically synonymous with lovers rock, and this sensuous song provides all the explanation necessary.’
- ‘Our three ambassadors of lovers rock came out personally to greet the audience before starting their performance and the audience loved this.’
- ‘This ex-Spinane knows how to bring the lovers rock.’
- ‘I requested that programmes playing more roots-reggae, dub, lovers rock and soul should be encouraged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.