One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Birdlife is good and include Augur buzzard, Denhams bustard, white-necked raven and purple crested lourie.’
- ‘Indigenous forests play host to parrots and louries among many other species of birds.’
- ‘When you stand on Rietfontein ridge what will strike you is the number of grey loeries contentedly flying about your head.’
- ‘In southern Africa both turacos and go-away birds are commonly known as louries.’
- ‘Monkeys, bush babies and many exotic and colourful bird species - including the emerald cuckoo, both purple-crested and Livingstone's louries and the pink-throated longclaw - can be spotted from the viewing decks.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch lori. Compare with lory.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.