One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural louriesSouth African
- ‘In southern Africa both turacos and go-away birds are commonly known as louries.’
- ‘Birdlife is good and include Augur buzzard, Denhams bustard, white-necked raven and purple crested lourie.’
- ‘When you stand on Rietfontein ridge what will strike you is the number of grey loeries contentedly flying about your head.’
- ‘Monkeys, bush babies and many exotic and colourful bird species - including the emerald cuckoo, both purple-crested and Livingstone's louries and the pink-throated longclaw - can be spotted from the viewing decks.’
- ‘Indigenous forests play host to parrots and louries among many other species of birds.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch lori. Compare with lory.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.