Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A man's suit consisting of a matching jacket and trousers, worn during the day, especially in the workplace.
- ‘The light grey lounge suits range from a 34’ chest up to a 54’ chest and come in short, regular and long fittings.’
- ‘The Prince, wearing a dark lounge suit and black tie, was asked to pass on a touching message to his mother.’
- ‘Dressed in a modern lounge suit and armed only with a carafe of water, he breezes through this enormous recital without seeming to break sweat.’
- ‘Whether it be for a family occasion, a business meeting or a interview, we have a range of lounge suits in black, navy and grey.’
- ‘On some occasions, if the function is an informal outdoor afternoon affair, then the lounge suit can be more casual, lighter colored, and worn without a tie.’
- ‘The clothes were really lovely - fifties style, the ladies mainly in satin, the men mainly in dinner suits, except for Jupiter, who was mainly in a cream lounge suit and brogues.’
- ‘Can you please clear up once and for all the difference between lounge suit, cocktail, formal and black tie?’
- ‘If they are committed to getting lounge suits made, they should probably ask my tailor, who I'm sure could knock them out something cool in burgundy and velvet.’
- ‘The lounge suit has the added benefit of being able to be worn afterwards.’
- ‘It turned out to be an all-black tie do and I was the only one in a (slightly dishevelled) lounge suit.’
- ‘No, I've told you, at a day wedding it's incorrect not to wear a morning suit or a lounge suit.’
- ‘Stylish dressers are now discarding their casual jackets, crotch crushing jeans, Gap slacks, T-shirts and combat clobber, to make room in their wardrobes for bespoke and off-the-peg lounge suits.’
- ‘The women had dresses that weren't too elaborate and the men wore lounge suits and long ties.’
- ‘If the invitation contains no indication in this regard, lounge suit is assumed to be appropriate.’
- ‘Single Breasted button two lounge suits are available in Black and Navy.’
- ‘Dress is optional with lounge suits for the men.’
- ‘A lounge suit is worn at less formal occasions such as business meetings, interviews etc, where more formal dress is not necessary.’
- ‘Wearing a black tie with a grey lounge suit and green overcoat, the 80-year-old Duke met local council leaders, residents and schoolchildren.’
- ‘Soldiers will be under orders to wear cheaper lounge suits to replace expensive dress uniforms under controversial plans being considered by the army.’
- ‘The man wears an informal lounge suit, the shape based on a cut-away coat.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.