One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘the cottage sat at the edge of the lough’Irish form of loch
- ‘They have not been able to populate fast-flowing rivers and open estuary areas, but lakes and loughs are a huge target for them.’
- ‘Ferox are exclusively a fish of the central European glacial lakes, the Scottish lochs and the Irish loughs.’
- ‘The lough is an estuary, thus salty, so keeping the head out of the water is more of an issue than when at the pool.’
- ‘From mountains, glens lakes, loughs, caves, cliffs and beaches to cities, towns, villages and hamlets, it's all within reach of your schedule and budget’.’
- ‘The majority of tench fishing takes place in natural loughs or loughs produced by peat diggings.’
Middle English: from Irish loch.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.