Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cross-legged position for meditation, with the feet resting on the thighs.
- ‘As my eyes adjust to the darkness, I see an elderly monk sitting on the floor, murmuring and blessing an older woman seated in a lotus position in front of him.’
- ‘Well, just as the lotus is undeniably a special flower, so the lotus position does have its virtues.’
- ‘Sitting in the full lotus position kept my mind more focused and alert - compared to sitting in half lotus.’
- ‘She demonstrates how to make the lotus posture more divine.’
- ‘Sit comfortably, in the lotus position if you wish.’
- ‘In the first he saw a yogi, in lotus posture, deep in meditation.’
- ‘Group toning and chanting was always followed by silent meditation and many assumed lotus postures for this.’
- ‘Therefore sitting posture, especially the lotus posture, is a firm and balanced physical position for the meditator.’
- ‘The movie introduces us to a child who might be a distant cousin of little Buddha: he sits in a lotus position and is surrounded by a myriad of candles.’
- ‘I got in the lotus position and began the deep breathing exercises.’
- ‘The half lotus and full lotus positions are excellent for establishing stability of body and mind.’
- ‘As your flexibility increases you may be able to then sit in the half-lotus, then full lotus positions.’
- ‘They would sit in silence in the lotus posture and fast, drinking only water.’
- ‘I adjusted my sitting position into a lotus position and clasped my hands over my head, then bent over, stretching as far as I could go.’
- ‘For this reason, the Buddha teaches his students to sit in the full lotus posture with upright minds.’
- ‘I entered my altar room and sat in the lotus position.’
- ‘Mattresses were spread right there on the floor, and twelve fit-looking young guys seated themselves in the lotus position.’
- ‘When you sit in the lotus position, you should sit naturally straight.’
- ‘To ‘ground ‘that energy and balance the flow of Pran streaming through the nerve system, Yogi cross their legs in the lotus posture, and bring their hands together.’’
- ‘I carefully examined her legs to see if she was in lotus position.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.