One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A children's game similar to bingo, in which numbered or illustrated counters or cards are drawn by the players.
- ‘It is a simple naming task with pictures from a children's lotto.’
- ‘The stimuli - pictures of familiar objects taken from children's lotto games - were arranged on cardboard grids.’
- ‘Now what can be so 'incredible' about a collection of children's lotto games?’
lottery, draw, prize draw, sweepstake, sweep, tombola, ballotView synonyms
- ‘There are 50 prizes each month and you are also included in a lotto draw.’
- ‘The organising committee wish to thank sincerely all those who promoted and supported the lotto during the year.’
- ‘The jackpot in the weekly parish fundraiser in the form of a lotto was not won.’
- ‘A new rota is being set up by the club executive to help out with the lotto.’
- ‘The chairman said John was a great supporter of the lotto draw every week and will be sadly missed.’
- ‘He thanked those who supported the lotto and the draw and all who helped run them.’
- ‘This year is a very special year of the lotto as you can actually see your contribution being put into use in the Community.’
- ‘He thanked the lady members of the club for helping out with the lotto draw and other ventures during the year.’
- ‘Last year the lucky newsagents also sold a winning ticket in a 1.5 million lotto draw.’
- ‘Plans for starting up a club lotto are currently being finalised and it is hoped to have a start up date in early March.’
- ‘I will miss her, but we still will try to win the lotto on Saturdays.’
- ‘However, the habits of many lotto players suggest that winning a million wouldn't be worth the effort.’
- ‘A great night's entertainment is assured and the house lotto and jackpot are considerable at present.’
- ‘He got to know many regulars on the route and would collect and deliver messages for elderly people and do the lotto for them.’
- ‘The club extends seasonal greetings to all and thanks for the generous support of the lotto throughout the year.’
- ‘John also thanked all lotto sellers and those who supported the lotto over the year.’
- ‘The miracles didn't stop there: six months later his surgeon won the lotto.’
- ‘I don't play the lotto and I avoid gambling at all costs because I'm a risk-taker by nature.’
- ‘The club has tickets on sale which facilitate people who wish to enter the lotto each week.’
- ‘There was no winner of the lotto jackpot of Euro 2,600 which was held on Monday the 28th March.’
Late 18th century: from Italian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.