One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where lost items are stored to await retrieval by their owners; a lost property.
- ‘He deliberately walked by the office on his way to class, and dropped the bracelet into the lost and found box.’
- ‘If hours spread into days, check the lost and found Cats and Dogs sections in this Newspaper.’
- ‘She picked it up with the cloth, saying she would take it to lost and found.’
- ‘She looked around for where the lost and found was.’
- ‘Let's just say that two weeks later, I'm still trying to get my jacket sent to me from their lost and found.’
- ‘To the exception of finally finding my glasses in the lost and found box in the office, that day had just been, simply horrible.’
- ‘We had run an ad the paper advertising this found cat in hopes someone who was missing her would read the lost and found section.’
- ‘Sarah smiled expecting ratty old jeans and a tee shirt from the lost and found, but was once again surprised.’
- ‘If lost and found items are sent to the front desk, place them in a drawer so they won't be distracting.’
- ‘A few might be solicitous enough to turn it over to the lost and found counter.’
- ‘The Swindon Branch operates a lost and found register to assist those who are concerned about a stray or whose cat has disappeared.’
- ‘The receptionist rummaged through the lost and found box and smiled.’
- ‘I just got an email saying my student ID / access card has been handed into lost and found, so it's back onto the bus and out to uni to pick it up.’
- ‘Well, apparently the dress came from lost and found, and the rest Morella had bought for her daughter.’
- ‘I managed to find a local telephone number for British Airways lost and found at Heathrow Airport.’
- ‘I asked the librarian, but she told me no one had checked it into the lost and found.’
- ‘Iowa State no longer has a central lost and found center.’
- ‘Sure, the money was okay, and I got to keep stuff from the lost and found if it stayed there for three weeks.’
- ‘Every year, 3,000 handsets are turned in to the station's lost and found, says manager Mike Nolan.’
- ‘How often people forget stuff in their rooms: Mary says she brings at least one item down to the lost and found every day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.