Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Humiliation:‘he could step aside now without loss of face’
- ‘Because of the loss of face, she completely severed communications with me, even though she was supposed to use my advice and help for a project.’
- ‘But I do think that we have to pursue an approach that allows them to back off without a tremendous loss of face, because they will not accept anything else, and we have to stay clear of apology.’
- ‘When working with victims of partner or marital violence, the entry point to rapport building is to acknowledge victims' feelings of guilt, shame, and loss of face about seeking help.’
- ‘But we have to learn diplomacy to show there is no loss of face in having basic skills improved, and we have to discover the talents that make people feel better about themselves.’
- ‘You never know, we could see the day when anyone who loses the egg and spoon race will sue the school for loss of face.’
- ‘His recent attack of you was childish and abusive and I was embarrassed for him for having lost control and showing anger in public, which in Asia entails a loss of face.’
- ‘The question now is whether they will try to extricate themselves without too much loss of face or future (he could still win, of course).’
- ‘Most sportspeople who operate at the highest level are paid - directly or indirectly - and without loss of face by administrators.’
- ‘If I'm right, the next few years are going to see a lot of anguish from computer users who have suddenly realised that hard disk failure involves more than just inconvenience and loss of face.’
- ‘I've incurred so many: loss of face (quite literally), cuts, bruises, lost tooth, a mysterious ‘third knee’ etc. etc.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.