Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to express surprise or dismay.‘Lordy! Whatever happened?’
- ‘Some time around Thanksgiving she begins shaking her head, looking disgusted and sighing, ‘Oh Lordy, Lordy; it's almost Christmas and I haven't done a thing!’’
- ‘He grabbed me by the wrist and reversed our positions so that I was against the counter and he was facing me. Lordy, that feels way too good.’
- ‘But then when I read it, it didn't sound like me at all, so I thought oh Lordy, sat down for three weeks and rewrote it completely, put more stories in, made it funnier.’
- ‘Oh Lordy, these links are going to take me a year and a day, aren't they…’
- ‘‘Well, Lordy be,’ Bunny said, jumping up and wiping her hands on her mini.’
- ‘I can be just like the other kids now, Oh Lordy, I Can Drive!’
- ‘Oh Lordy, here he comes with more SCIENCE’
- ‘The first thing that went through my head when I popped this CD in my stereo, was ‘Oh Lordy, it's Mix 99.9!‘.’
- ‘A part of me thinks he needs me more than ever right now and that just when he seems the most challenging, he needs to be shown that I love him and that I want to be with him… but Lordy Lordy it's difficult.’
- ‘And Lordy, he knew how to hide the specialist stuff from view.’
- ‘Lordy, Lordy, look who was so extremely bored that the story got updated.’
- ‘Oh Lordy, this just isn't right!’
- ‘Whoever downloads the 500 millionth song wins 10 iPods and an iTunes gift card for 10,000 songs and oh Lordy, would I just love to get my hands on the latter.’
- ‘Anyone can order a dozen black roses or take an ad out that says, ‘Lordy, Lordy, look who's forty.’’
- ‘Oh, Lordy, ‘tis a rough time for fans of experimental pop.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.