One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The civic head of the local council in certain Scottish cities, analogous to a mayor in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- ‘Edinburgh University remained the responsibility of the Lord Provost and Council until 1858.’
- ‘After a short welcome from the deputy Lord Provost, we admired the paintings of former Lords Provost and then headed back to the hotel for the Conference Dinner.’
- ‘Meanwhile important municipal work was being carried on, calling for the Lord Provost's anxious care.’
- ‘The Lord Provost is the principal representative of the Council on numerous bodies and organisations.’
- ‘You, my Lord Provost, have remarked that I have had the good fortune to remain for fifty years in one post.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.