One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the cabinet minister presiding at the Privy Council.
- ‘He was also Lord Privy Seal and Lord President of the Council for most of the period 1957-64.’
- ‘It all started with the first baronet, who was Lord President of the Council and a most distinguished judge.’
- ‘He served under Prime Minister Churchill as Lord President of the Council and died a few weeks after he left the post in October 1940.’
- ‘The holder of the Office of Lord President of the Council acts as Presiding officer of the Privy Council.’
- ‘As Lord President of the Council in 1925-9 he was a strong supporter of the concept of dominion status, and the Statute of Westminster of 1931 owed much to his inspiration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.