Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The title of the mayor in London and some other large British cities.‘he became Lord Mayor of Liverpool’
- ‘If you have a function or engagement that you wish the Lord Mayor to attend, please contact the Lord Mayor's Administrative Officer.’
- ‘At selected subsidiary companies of the city the Lord Mayor performs the function of the chairman of the supervisory board.’
- ‘Lord Mayors are addressed by the style of ‘The Right Worshipful’ but the Lord Mayors of 6 cities are entitled to the honorific style of ‘The Right Honourable’.’
- ‘The Lord Mayor and other city notables walk from the Guildhall to St Lawrence Jewry to hear a sermon.’
- ‘Businessmen gathered to hear him address a Lord Mayor's banquet in the City of London and cheered him as he laid into the firefighters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.