Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for lord commissioner
- ‘She has the power to appoint a Lord High Commissioner to represent her and to give two speeches on her behalf at the General Assembly.’
- ‘Soon afterwards, His Grace the Lord High Commissioner was announced, and the whole assemblage rose and received him standing.’
- ‘Charles is Lord High Commissioner of the General Assembly.’
- ‘While the General Assembly is meeting, the Lord High Commissioner is treated as if a Regent.’
- ‘He held the office of Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1711.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.