One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to indicate surprise or dismay.‘Lor, look at that! Isn't it horrible?’
- ‘He thinks he is damn good but he doesn't know anything lor!’
- ‘So yeah lor, go and get your tickets and take part lah!’
- ‘She gave me a sneer, and sniggered, ‘Ha, then you go back and queue lor.’’
- ‘Some people will be thinking now, ‘Wah lau, please lor, you want a guy who is cute, smart, and funny.’’
- ‘"Lor', look at that glass up there, hidden in the stones."’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation of lord.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.