One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US A cigarette sold individually.‘get me three loosies and a tall can of Budweiser’
- ‘By mid-morning, the block to the south is occupied by the two brothers, who sell loosies.’
- ‘Loosies were available on the street corners near the school, but in those days, the price was one penny each.’
- ‘Scraping together $2 is easier, like buying a single cigarette—a loosie—for $1 instead of a pack for $9 or more.’
- ‘With cigarette prices up and the number of smoke-friendly places down, the black market for loosies is now thriving on the streets.’
- ‘Like the loosie, the single-ride's inexpensiveness masks the fact that it is, in fact, the most costly ride sold.’
A loose forward, who plays at the back of the scrum.‘he's the World-Cup-winning loosie from the 1987 squad’
- ‘The All Blacks loosie will add muscle to the Wellington pack for their NPC encounter with Northland.’
- ‘It's been a great fortnight of tennis so far. < / p> POSTSCRIPT: We note with sadness the death from cancer of former Springbok loosie Ruben Kruger at the far-too-young age of 39.’
- ‘We note with sadness the death of the former Springbok loosie at the far-too-young age of 39.’
- ‘Meanwhile the Highlanders loosie has been cited following a swinging arm in a tackle during the game.’
- ‘It's not often you get a big lock or loosie from 15s playing in the sevens.’
- ‘He's the apprentice loosie who went on a rugby educational with the All Blacks to Europe on the end-of-year tour.’
- ‘Will be hard to beat at home, although they won't have the Springbok loosie for their play-off game.’
- ‘The Hurricanes loosie led the New Zealand under-20 side at the current Junior World Championship in France.’
- ‘With fellow loosie Thomas Waldrom, he hopes to give Wellington coach John Plumtree a selection headache when Collins and Rodney So'oialo return later in the season.’
- ‘With his fellow loosie, he hopes to give the Wellington coach a selection headache when they return later in the season.’
- ‘The former All Black loosie should offer a quality dimension.’
- ‘They rely on the workhorse loosie to develop the bulk of their momentum.’
1960s: from loose + -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.