Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an aircraft) describe a vertical circle in the air.‘Julie will loop the loop next month on her first trip into the skies’
- ‘According to the airshow commentator wingwalking harks back to the early days of flying when planes were regarded as outdoor circus acts and feats of daring like looping the loop and wingwalking were standard fare.’
- ‘While she was having ‘a fantastic time looping the loop, undertaking twinkle rolls and brake turns’, I wonder if she gave any thought to those living in villages and countryside to the south of the city under her aircraft.’
- ‘Many candidates reacted to the strains of zero gravity by looping the loop compulsively.’
- ‘The pair then climbed 200m above the sea, to perform an air show that included flying backwards and virtually looping the loop.’
- ‘Charlotte says she is used to heights - not just because she is 6ft 1 in tall, but also because she when she was an air cadet she loved looping the loop in aircraft flown by RAF pilots.’
- ‘Coleen, who admitted she had not been looking forward to the trip, threw caution to the wind and ended up having a fantastic time looping the loop and soaring above the clouds during her visit to the RAF base.’
- ‘The captain took the opportunity to show off his skills - performing an exhilarating stunt flight, looping the loop, somersaulting, rolling and spiralling far above the crowds' heads.’
- ‘We arrived at the scene of the fire, the two of us and the plane, a Chipmunk, had been trying to loop the loop, the pilot and the passenger were two professors from Manchester University.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.