Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of a person's appearance.
- ‘And thirdly, despite having always been resolutely opposed to sexism, lookism and shapeism I couldn't get over how ugly the crowd was.’
- ‘The diary disapproves of sexism and lookism in all its curvaceous and beautiful forms.’
- ‘While lookism is not currently one of the legally prohibited forms of discrimination, its similarity to other forms of discrimination raises the question of whether it might become one.’
- ‘Of course the show emphasizes lookism and consumerism, but if you watch closely enough, at core the message is, ‘Look good with what you've got, feel good about yourself’.’
- ‘The lookism in our community keeps the binds of patriarchy firmly in place.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.