Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or thing that closely resembles another, especially someone who looks very similar to a famous person.‘an Elvis Presley lookalike’
double, twin, exact likeness, image, living image, mirror image, exact match, replica, clone, imitation, duplicate, copy, facsimiledoppelgängerspitting image, spit, spit and image, ringer, dead ringerView synonyms
- ‘A force takes footage of the suspected criminal and together with the suspect and their solicitor makes a selection of lookalikes from the thousands of images stored on a national database.’
- ‘The event also entered the record books for having the world's largest gathering of Harry Potter lookalikes, with 558 children across the country dressing up as the wizard.’
- ‘Instead, we'll have a battle of the lookalikes.’
- ‘Killinghall Primary School in Killinghall Road had hundreds of David Beckham lookalikes running around, as the England football captain's haircut proved most popular among the children attending their hair salon.’
- ‘The victim simply views the screen to make his or her decision and police don't have to waste valuable hours scouring the streets for line-up lookalikes.’
- ‘Around midday, immaculately groomed horses appear, ridden by Antonio Banderas lookalikes wearing broad-brimmed hats and expressions of unassailable superiority.’
- ‘The success of Michael Kingsbury's production lies in having found genuine soundalikes and lookalikes.’
- ‘It was a unanimous decision that both Benjamin and Melissa were the best Harry Potter and Hermione Granger lookalikes from the ones received from people in and around Trowbridge.’
- ‘This made finding lookalikes rather difficult.’
- ‘One Indian story told of a hero who so loved his paramour that when she had to pick him out from a hall of indistinguishable heroes, lookalikes in gold armour, he cut off his little finger so she would know and choose him.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.