One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Scrutinize someone carefully.‘Fen looked her up and down consideringly before answering’
study, examine, scrutinize, inspect, survey, search, scour, sweep, rakeView synonyms
- ‘Seth looked me up and down, as if checking me for signs of damage.’
- ‘The woman serving looked me up and down, then asked for ID.’
- ‘The man looked her up and down as though checking her condition.’
- ‘The lady of the house opened the door, looked me up and down and started giggling.’
- ‘He looked me up and down, his gaze stopping when it reached my eyes.’
- ‘The bouncer stopped me, looked me up and down, frowned slightly and said, ‘Are you on the guest-list, sir?’’
- ‘‘Oh,’ he said in a dismissive tone, looking me up and down.’
- ‘One of the gang members looked Jones up and down as he walked over.’
- ‘He looked me up and down. ‘You have something to say?’’
- ‘She stared at me, looked me up and down and sneered.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.