One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be quick.‘come up here, and look smart about it!’
be quick, hurry up, speed upView synonyms
- ‘Hawks fly-half Stephen Duffy had to look smart to save the situation and the he did exactly the same on a flying Walker later in the half.’
- ‘He disappointed on final start last season but had looked smart prior to that run.’
- ‘It is difficult to recall a solitary chance worth the name in the opening 45 minutes, although centre forward Paul Walker at least required St Mirren goalkeeper Craig Hinchcliffe to look smart after he had dispatched a low 20 yarder.’
- ‘Nurses can't tell people to sit up straight and look smart.’
- ‘Gregory Vignal looked smart before picking up a knock and although Riise has looked better when playing in midfield he has covered well.’
- ‘Straightening his tie he explained: ‘We've got the Lancashire Exiles dinner tonight, got to look smart and get a move on.’’
- ‘Still he was banging on, ‘We had to dress smart and look smart.’’
- ‘He insisted on everyone doing the same training and practice, expected people to look smart, and could not tolerate laxity or flippancy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.