One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
View a situation from a pessimistic angle.‘I was looking on the black side and thought I would get a sentence of five years’
pessimistic, depressing, downbeat, looking on the black side, disheartening, disappointing, dispiriting, unpromising, unfavourable, bleak, bad, dark, black, sombre, melancholy, saddening, distressing, grim, cheerless, comfortless, hopelessView synonyms
- ‘Roland points out that she's looking on the black side again; Shane could also be better by tomorrow.’
- ‘A suspicious mind always looks on the black side of things.’
- ‘But, notwithstanding my determination to look on the black side of things, life isn't uniformly bad.’
- ‘We bankers are a conservative lot, we tend to look on the black side.’
- ‘You tend to look on the black side of everything, see the worst in yourself, in your life and your future.’
- ‘Then I saw that I was only looking on the black side and started thinking of the fact that escape is always possible.’
- ‘You shouldn't always look on the black side if you haven't heard from someone for a while though.’
- ‘My advice to anyone who has kidney failure is not to be pessimistic and don't look on the black side.’
- ‘Try not to be depressed or look on the black side of things, because that might affect your personal well-being.’
- ‘Are you troubled by negative thoughts - do you feel down a lot of the time - does your mind always look on the black side for the future?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.