One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Watch without getting involved.‘Cameron was looking on and making no move to help’
- ‘He positioned himself on the couch watching the documentary with glee with Jocelyn looking on with displeasure.’
- ‘The coach looked on, inscrutable as he always is when watching from the stands.’
- ‘There are young tigers frolicking in and out of the pools provided for them in their pens, and it's a pleasure to watch them and their mums looking on from next door.’
- ‘He looked on and watched as the same girl in his dream climbed into his room through the window.’
- ‘He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the boot of his car.’
- ‘That's why it matters if we simply look on as the dignity of one of our number is traded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.