One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Think of (past events)‘don't waste time looking back on things which have caused you distress’
reflect on, think about, remember, recall, bring to mind, muse on, brood on, ponder on, reminisce about, be nostalgic about, hark back toView synonyms
- ‘I think looking back on your past experiences and failures is useful only if you learn from this experience and ensure that you do not make the same mistake again.’
- ‘Rev Ashworth has spent the past 22 years at St Margaret's, in St Margaret's Road, a time which he looks back on with fondness.’
- ‘Those of us with long political memories tend to look back at events of the past and expect history to repeat itself.’
- ‘He afforded himself a little smile as he looked back on how his company has grown.’
- ‘How can anyone, looking back at the past four years, possibly approve?’
- ‘Have you ever looked back at the past and wished that things would go back to how they were, though you knew they never could?’
- ‘We can look back at events through history and determine exactly how they came about.’
- ‘It is also a time for reflection, looking back on the year we have just had and forward to what will be.’
- ‘I've really made a mess of things, I reflected, looking back on the day's events.’
- ‘When you look back on past romances, do you ever wonder what you saw in a former lover?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.