One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The fibrous matter of the fluid-transport system of a marrow-like fruit, which is dried and used as a bath sponge.
- ‘Use a body brush or loofah to exfoliate your skin gently after you've been in the shower or the bath.’
- ‘When you're fully relaxed, use a brush or a loofah and plenty of shower gel or soap to work up a lather.’
- ‘Yousko regularly walks the streets in southern California looking for stores that sell, say, loofahs and candles, and researches the retailers on the Web.’
- ‘Exfoliate the entire body with a natural loofah.’
- ‘A woman nips in front of you to nab a bargain loofah that would be perfect for Gran.’
- ‘Thank this angel with an array of products: bubble bath, body lotion, a loofah, and all-natural perfume or essential oil.’
- ‘She rinsed her hair and legs, quickly running a loofah over her skin.’
- ‘When the right night arrives, I take a long bath and scrub with a loofah and fancy face scrub.’
- ‘This supersize moisturizing soap is attached to a grade-A natural loofah.’
- ‘She was so adamant on showing me how to use this loofah that I couldn't get a word in edgewise to tell her I wasn't interested in loofahs at all.’
- ‘Sumiko had purchased some old-fashioned gourd loofahs, as well as an array of local beauty products.’
- ‘If you've ever used a loofah in the shower, you've stirred up some stem cells.’
- ‘We wash using the old-fashioned way - a smallish tub full of water, a ladle, a loofah, soap and shampoo.’
- ‘A lot of men are asking themselves an important question these days: should they use an exfoliating body wash or a loofah in the shower?’
- ‘Staphylococcus aureus was found in 60% of cellulose sponges and 86% of loofahs.’
- ‘Even using a loofah or natural brush in the shower can stimulate these receptors.’
- ‘Massage areas prone to stretch marks with a washcloth or loofah to increase circulation to the area.’
- ‘The patient remarked that she had scratched her back with a long bathroom loofah to relieve intractable itching.’
- ‘During your showers or baths this week, gently scrub your skin with a wet loofah, a natural sponge available at drugstores and natural food stores.’
2The tropical Old World climbing plant of the gourd family which produces loofahs, which are also edible.
Late 19th century: from Egyptian Arabic lūfa, denoting the plant.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.