One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or involving a single long face worked (usually mechanically) along its whole length.‘longwall mining’
- ‘In 1976, Old Ben Coal Co., with Federal assistance, began a trial of modern mechanized longwall mining in a new area of their No.24 mine in the Herrin Coal seam.’
- ‘The three main underground mining methods are stoping, room-and-pillar mining, and longwall mining.’
- ‘Between 1983 and 1998, as Pennsylvania replaced most traditional underground mining with longwall mining, the state's coal production increased by 64% while the number of coal miners fell by 81%.’
- ‘In lucid terms, Booth first elaborates the mechanisms and impacts of the hydrogeological response to longwall mining.’
- ‘A single longwall path can stretch for two miles, causing everything on the surface directly above it to collapse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.