One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Existing on, frequenting, or moving along the seashore.‘longshore currents’
- ‘Among the demonstrators were students from colleges and high schools, many of whom had never protested before, as well as school bus drivers, nurses, health workers and longshore workers.’
- ‘Imagine machinists, teachers, and even baseball players marching together to the docks to support the longshore workers!’
- ‘A primary influence on the formation and evolution of a beach is something called a longshore current.’
- ‘For example, if the waves approach the shoreline from the south, longshore current moves from south to north.’
- ‘On the southern margin of the basin, longshore currents driven by southeasterly winds hydrodynamically accumulated carbonate particles to form a spit-platform, on top of which some shoals developed.’
- ‘Find animations and images showing a variety of depositional landforms resulting from longshore drift.’
- ‘This process is repeated and pebbles gradually shift along the beach, a process called longshore drift.’
- ‘Although prior to the lockout Westshore had an estimated 1 million ton stockpile of coal available to load, unionized longshore workers refused to cross the railway pickets and those who were working walked out.’
- ‘Marine deposits are formed along seashores by sea water flowing in longshore currents.’
- ‘The speedup on the docks was so intense that the accident rate shot up, costing the lives of five longshore workers in 2002.’
- ‘Gray said that at one stage the longshore current off the bay appeared to have reversed.’
- ‘Thomas accused the PMA of engaging in a massive speedup and compromising safety, citing the deaths of five longshore workers in accidents this year.’
- ‘The purpose of these walls is to slow down the longshore currents that carry sand, but the sand then builds up on the up-current side while depriving the coastline on the down-current side.’
- ‘Peruvian longshore workers carried out a surprise strike on April 1 at the port of El Callao, Peru's main port.’
- ‘A recent declaration from the union's negotiating committee urges longshore workers to expedite military cargo through the ports.’
- ‘I told Mara we would be bringing you aboard on another longshore boat.’
- ‘This process is called longshore drift and is generated by wave and current action.’
Early 19th century: from along shore.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.