Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing on, frequenting, or moving along the seashore.‘longshore currents’
- ‘On the southern margin of the basin, longshore currents driven by southeasterly winds hydrodynamically accumulated carbonate particles to form a spit-platform, on top of which some shoals developed.’
- ‘A recent declaration from the union's negotiating committee urges longshore workers to expedite military cargo through the ports.’
- ‘For example, if the waves approach the shoreline from the south, longshore current moves from south to north.’
- ‘Marine deposits are formed along seashores by sea water flowing in longshore currents.’
- ‘Thomas accused the PMA of engaging in a massive speedup and compromising safety, citing the deaths of five longshore workers in accidents this year.’
- ‘This process is repeated and pebbles gradually shift along the beach, a process called longshore drift.’
- ‘A primary influence on the formation and evolution of a beach is something called a longshore current.’
- ‘Among the demonstrators were students from colleges and high schools, many of whom had never protested before, as well as school bus drivers, nurses, health workers and longshore workers.’
- ‘Although prior to the lockout Westshore had an estimated 1 million ton stockpile of coal available to load, unionized longshore workers refused to cross the railway pickets and those who were working walked out.’
- ‘Imagine machinists, teachers, and even baseball players marching together to the docks to support the longshore workers!’
- ‘Gray said that at one stage the longshore current off the bay appeared to have reversed.’
- ‘I told Mara we would be bringing you aboard on another longshore boat.’
- ‘The purpose of these walls is to slow down the longshore currents that carry sand, but the sand then builds up on the up-current side while depriving the coastline on the down-current side.’
- ‘The speedup on the docks was so intense that the accident rate shot up, costing the lives of five longshore workers in 2002.’
- ‘Peruvian longshore workers carried out a surprise strike on April 1 at the port of El Callao, Peru's main port.’
- ‘Find animations and images showing a variety of depositional landforms resulting from longshore drift.’
- ‘This process is called longshore drift and is generated by wave and current action.’
Early 19th century: from along shore.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.