One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large North American pine tree with long needles and cones, which is an important source of turpentine.
"Pinus palustris", family "Pinaceae"Also called pitch pine
- ‘Ray builds the ecosystem up from the longleaf pine and examines the notable species diversity of these forests and their unique qualities as a habitat.’
- ‘Since longleaf pine does not produce annual growth rings during its juvenile grass stage, true age cannot be determined.’
- ‘In an effort to re-establish and expand endangered longleaf pine in the refuge, the US Fish and Wildlife Service will plant 10,000 seedlings on the refuge's 33,000 acres of upland forest.’
- ‘In addition to red and white oak, these include longleaf pine and poplar - trees hard to find in that area.’
- ‘We have done numerous articles in the past explaining that fire can be beneficial to an ecosystem - and in some cases, such as with longleaf pine, is critical to its survival.’
- ‘With about 161,000 acres of mostly longleaf pine, Fort Bragg soon began partnering with local conservation groups to buy land along the edges of the post.’
- ‘Black jack and post oak frequently co-occur with longleaf pine in fire-prone savannas of the outer coastal plain of the southeastern United States.’
- ‘Prior to these analyses, patchy recruitment of longleaf pine had been predicted to result in high levels of fine-scale genetic structure due to the colonization of suitable recruitment sites primarily by seeds from nearby adults.’
- ‘The potential for long-distance seed dispersal by longleaf pine was also demonstrated by estimations of seed dispersal into the 75 m plots.’
- ‘We're planting many areas back to longleaf pine in order to restore the natural fire regime.’
- ‘Generally only a very hot fire, one fueled by drought and a heavy buildup of fallen leaves and pine needles, will kill a longleaf pine.’
- ‘In Ocala National Forest, foresters and local volunteers replaced slash pine with stronger, more resilient longleaf pine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.