Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of long surfboard.
- ‘I picked back up with a Boogie board, then a longboard.’
- ‘Though longboards remained popular during the early 60's, balsa wood had been almost exclusively exchanged for foam and fiberglass.’
- ‘It's a nice wave, and pretty much perfect for longboards.’
- ‘It may be the snowboard in the garage, the shortboard gathering dust under the beloved longboard, or the huge gas-sucking 4x4 truck which has never been off pavement.’
- ‘I did buy a longboard which may have helped things along, but I have surfed shortboards on a few occasions with no ill effects.’
- ‘In the predawn gloom, an armada of longboards sat in the sand of Windansea beach, bristling like war ships with poles, tackle, and gear.’
- ‘The heavy presence of longboards and the acknowledgement of the concept of style makes this break one of the most leash-free in California.’
- ‘These buses are very comfortable with AC and can take longboards.’
- ‘Herbie shaped and hand-painted a few longboards specifically for the show, and they're proudly displayed facing super urban Second Street.’
- ‘With 10 minutes remaining, Mimi picked up a wave that the others missed, and utilized her longboard to the full, shuffling up and down its length and picking up valuable points.’
- ‘I have not spent much time on a longboard, but I have tried paddling on my knees.’
- ‘Adorning the walls, were rows of longboards that would make even the most militant shortboarder drool.’
- ‘Once he told me that any board is a kneeboard; you could ride a longboard on your knees if you wanted to.’
- ‘This last method works with longboards in smaller surf.’
- ‘My feeling is that a lot of older surfers would have much more fun riding bodyboards recreationally rather than struggling along with a longboard in surfer-choked point breaks.’
- ‘The longboards and shortboards have assumed the peak of acceptance and now proudly reside in houses and garages in the place of honor golf clubs used to have in the 1950's.’
- ‘Rather, she may just want to go down to the local beach to ride a longboard, hang out with her friends, and enjoy the ocean.’
- ‘We did a tour with Nabula, and those guys all had longboards.’
- ‘The work looked like a cross between a 1960s longboard, and stained-glass windows built by Timothy Leary.’
- ‘The boards don't float the surfer like the longboards did.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.