One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The summer break of three months taken by universities and (formerly) law courts.
- ‘Unofficially, it was a way of celebrating the departure of the undergraduates for the long vacation.’
- ‘As part of such professional standards, every school's staff must use one month of the long vacation for review, training, and planning as a body.’
- ‘It is pleasant to record that despite the volume of business in this court and the incidence of the long vacation, we have been able to hear this appeal within five months of the lodging of the notice of appeal in the Civil Appeals Office.’
- ‘Adding to this week's usual back-to-school rush has been another perennial problem which adds to the upheaval for parents, students and teachers alike that surrounds the end of the long vacation.’
- ‘It is extended to students somewhat forcibly, to attend morning school during the long vacation to avoid being kept down the following year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.