One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Closely fitting undergarments with long sleeves or legs, worn to provide warmth in cold weather.‘in addition to long underwear, nothing helps your body fight freezing temps like a shot of whiskey’
- ‘I made a sweaty exit from my sleeping bag and stripped down a few layers to my long underwear.’
- ‘Early Sunday morning he pulled on two pairs of long underwear and stepped out into the dark, freezing cold.’
- ‘On Monday, he was wearing two sets of long underwear and an insulated shirt under thick coveralls and a winter coat.’
- ‘To go outside, I wear long underwear under snow pants.’
- ‘But when he hops out of bed, shirtless, he's wearing a pair of long underwear.’
- ‘Long underwear underneath relaxing pants is preferred choice.’
- ‘Fashionable long underwear seems to be the rage these days.’
- ‘I packed as though I were summering in Seattle - a raincoat, jeans, long underwear, and layers, you know.’
- ‘One must look hard to find pure cotton long underwear these days.’
- ‘One of my colleagues was even given long underwear with apples printed on them!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.