One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inability to see things clearly, especially if they are relatively close to the eyes, owing to the focusing of rays of light by the eye at a point behind the retina.Also called hypermetropia
- ‘I was diagnosed with long sight in my right eye when I was about six years old, and wore glasses until I was about seventeen when I gave them up in a fit of vanity.’
- ‘Some conditions such as short or long sight, eye muscle co-ordination problems and most lazy eyes can be corrected, and glasses are not always necessary.’
- ‘A significant proportion of the EMI students chose Options C and D, indicating that many of them could not distinguish between the effects of short sight and long sight.’
- ‘However, clinical trials have shown that 92% of patients with low to moderate levels of long sight achieve near-normal vision after one procedure.’
- ‘You can be old and have your short or long sight surgically corrected.’
- ‘Defective vision due to short sight or long sight can be corrected by wearing spectacles, contact lenses or by LASIK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.