One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Underpants with closely fitted legs that extend to the wearer's ankles.
- ‘He stripped down to his long johns and wordlessly collapsed on the bottom bunk.’
- ‘The girl was walking barefoot, in her long johns, through the enormous room.’
- ‘They pulled on their long johns, dragged out their lawn chairs, and hunkered down against the federal building's brown walls.’
- ‘Despite that, kayaking can be a somewhat chilly pastime, as we found out, even though we were all wearing long johns.’
- ‘I have had to make a pair of shorts out of my long johns.’
- ‘One can go further south from here but we would need heated long johns to keep us warm, and we've seen enough iceburgs for the time being.’
- ‘Eric was wearing long johns, leather boots, ski pants, a vest, a fleece hat, gloves, and a down jacket.’
- ‘These keen knitters create all sorts of garments including toys and even long johns!’
- ‘I always pack silk long johns to put on under my slacks.’
- ‘I even wear fireproof long johns for extra protection.’
- ‘Breathables do let the cold in, but if necessary the solution is to wear long johns under thermal fleece trousers.’
- ‘All three boys were wearing bathrobes and long johns.’
- ‘In only my long johns, I burrowed down inside the four layers that made up my sleeping bag: an inner cotton liner, a thick down inner sleeping bag, a thick outer down bag, and a heavy canvas sleeping bag cover.’
- ‘Time to get the thermal long johns out of the dresser and bring my thick socks forward to the front of the drawer.’
- ‘Here are 10 dates that are guaranteed to be fun, whether they be inside where its warm or outside where you have to wear long johns.’
- ‘I would have thought that a more valid reason was the difficulty in finding anywhere that sells white cotton long johns these days.’
- ‘Everyone wishes they had long johns under their jeans when it's 30 degrees and they're about to sit down in the car.’
- ‘Sweatpants fit perfectly well over the long johns.’
- ‘The drill is to quickly strip down to long johns, jump into the bag, then pray you won't need to visit the bathroom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.