One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Underpants with closely fitted legs that extend to the wearer's ankles.
- ‘In only my long johns, I burrowed down inside the four layers that made up my sleeping bag: an inner cotton liner, a thick down inner sleeping bag, a thick outer down bag, and a heavy canvas sleeping bag cover.’
- ‘Here are 10 dates that are guaranteed to be fun, whether they be inside where its warm or outside where you have to wear long johns.’
- ‘Everyone wishes they had long johns under their jeans when it's 30 degrees and they're about to sit down in the car.’
- ‘Time to get the thermal long johns out of the dresser and bring my thick socks forward to the front of the drawer.’
- ‘I have had to make a pair of shorts out of my long johns.’
- ‘These keen knitters create all sorts of garments including toys and even long johns!’
- ‘I would have thought that a more valid reason was the difficulty in finding anywhere that sells white cotton long johns these days.’
- ‘The girl was walking barefoot, in her long johns, through the enormous room.’
- ‘One can go further south from here but we would need heated long johns to keep us warm, and we've seen enough iceburgs for the time being.’
- ‘All three boys were wearing bathrobes and long johns.’
- ‘I always pack silk long johns to put on under my slacks.’
- ‘Despite that, kayaking can be a somewhat chilly pastime, as we found out, even though we were all wearing long johns.’
- ‘He stripped down to his long johns and wordlessly collapsed on the bottom bunk.’
- ‘The drill is to quickly strip down to long johns, jump into the bag, then pray you won't need to visit the bathroom.’
- ‘Breathables do let the cold in, but if necessary the solution is to wear long johns under thermal fleece trousers.’
- ‘I even wear fireproof long johns for extra protection.’
- ‘Eric was wearing long johns, leather boots, ski pants, a vest, a fleece hat, gloves, and a down jacket.’
- ‘They pulled on their long johns, dragged out their lawn chairs, and hunkered down against the federal building's brown walls.’
- ‘Sweatpants fit perfectly well over the long johns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.