Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having sleeves that reach to the wrist.‘a long-sleeved shirt’
- ‘I had on a long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt, and my jacket, and I was still freezing.’
- ‘An Afghan man traditionally wears a long-sleeved shirt, which reaches his knees.’
- ‘Just be sure to wear a sunhat and a long-sleeved high-collared shirt while you do it.’
- ‘He was wearing dark baggy jeans, a dark baseball cap and a long-sleeved, dark green sweatshirt with a white T-shirt over the top.’
- ‘Minimum requirements include long-sleeved shirts and long trousers or overalls as well as safety equipment.’
- ‘They all had hooded sweatshirts, plaid shirts or long-sleeved tee shirts with jeans.’
- ‘This is a belted black garment with long sleeves, worn over a plain long-sleeved shirt.’
- ‘The three men were also dressed alike: denim jeans, long-sleeved plaid shirts, and work boots.’
- ‘About a half an hour later she came out of her room wearing a red long-sleeved shirt with faded jeans.’
- ‘He wore jeans and a long-sleeved knit shirt of a type of olive green that brought out the emerald of his eyes.’
- ‘If you go outside in the middle of the day, wear long-sleeved shirts, a hat and sunglasses.’
- ‘I wore a pair of faded jeans and a long-sleeved shirt that showed the name of my softball team on it.’
- ‘These types of necklaces are best worn with t-shirts or plain long-sleeved shirts.’
- ‘Abi also bought a lovely new autumn coat, some long-sleeved shirts, and a couple of fuzzy turtlenecks.’
- ‘Take sunglasses, a hat, long-sleeved shirts and high-factor sun-tan lotions.’
- ‘His dark, short, spiky hair was gelled and he was wearing a dark, long-sleeved shirt with light-coloured trousers.’
- ‘She wore blue jeans and a long-sleeved white shirt buttoned to the neck.’
- ‘He was wearing his khaki slacks and white long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbows.’
- ‘Her gray hooded sweatshirt was pulled over a black flannel long-sleeved shirt and two tank tops.’
- ‘He had short, dark brown hair and wore a dark, long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.